Saturday, February 26, 2022

0000 0000 1000 1010

CD4013 Flip Flop


In an earlier blog and video I was messing around with a fundamental element of computers, the Set/Reset Latch (S/R Latch), built around a CD4001 quad NOR gate. It's great, but evolution of this circuit has led to another element known as the S/R flip flop.

SR Latch

SR Flip Flop

There is SO MUCH information out there about these logic circuits, but I'll just recommend two sources if you are the type that likes to:


The fundamental change is that the SR Latch cannot change unless the Enable pin is HIGH (1). I also saw many Truth Tables out there and they were very inconsistent in their outputs of Q and Q' - depending on whether the Enable pin was also a Clock signal with a rising and falling edge. Interesting!

As a little side project I was wondering what the results would be if I replaced the AND gates with NOR gates!


But ultimately I wanted to use the CD4013 IC, which is listed as a Dual D-Type Flip-Flop (the D being for Data). In the datasheet we see the following "function table":


And the pinout for the chip is as follows:

The video shows this working well as per the datasheet, and it was interesting that the output does not change when enable is HIGH, but only when enable has a rising edge.

I think next I'll try the JK Flip Flop to avoid the "ambiguous" case which seems to be the downfall of this circuit.




No comments:

Post a Comment