Friday, January 12, 2024

0000 0000 1101 1101

Hot Software or Hardware? Bullseye!

I upgraded my NAS Media Centre from an Orange Pi PC Plus to an Orange Pi 3 LTS, both running OpenMediaVault (OMV).

Apart from the usual configuration SNAFUs and other delights in such a move, I was a tad concerned about the reported CPU temperature on the new machine.

Logging into the new Orange Pi 3 LTS and using HTOP I consistently saw over 50 degrees Celsius - about 20 degrees higher than the Orange Pi PC Plus running Orange Pi's own Armbian image.

It's inevitable I surmise that with higher performance comes higher temperatures, but a little online chatter on the subject of software differences sent me on a typical OneCircuit rabbit hole expedition where I compared six(!) OS options based on temperature profile.

All images were homemade roll-yer-own Armbian based along the following lines:

Orange Pi PC Plus: Ubuntu Jammy, Debian Bullseye and Debian Bookworm

Orange Pi 3 LTS: Ubuntu Jammy, Debian Bullseye and Debian Bookworm

All images also were CLI only (no desktop) and I used the same micro SD card and ambient temperature for all tests - no fans employed but the chips did have heat sinks onboard.

If you want me to do a deeper dive on building your own Armbian images, or configuring OMV please leave a comment on YouTube (video link below).

The results of all this amateur science? Surprising!



No comments:

Post a Comment