Saturday, October 2, 2021

0000 0000 0111 0101

Re-using STM32 ICs

The world is a wacky place at times - and right now it is difficult to get a relatively common IC like the STM32. Supply these days is often an issue, and price is certainly becoming an issue.

In September 2020 I bought 10 STM32F103R8T6 ICs to make the Pesky Padauk Programmer for the very reasonable cost of AUD $11.30 (for all 10) including delivery. In September 2021 I spied the following at my usual "cheap" supplier:

Yikes! So when a new PCB Padauk Programmer based on Tim's design turned up recently, I thought I'd desolder the STM32 chips from some of my previous numpty versions and try them in the new design.

Result? More or less successful! I think some of those previously used STM32s were fried from my amateur attempts to make this programmer. They have tiny fragile pins, and I have gross fine motor skills instead of the required fine gross motor skills!

At some point I will also want to, for the "intellectual stimulation", desolder a STM32F103R8T6 and/or STM32F103R6T6 from a "blue pill" to see if I can make that work, but that will have to be the subject of another video and blog I think!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment