Saturday, September 11, 2021

0000 0000 0111 0010

120W bluetooth sound system

I have built an amp from an LM386 before, documented on this blog and associated YouTube video.

It faithfully churns out around 1W of sound when you use an LM386-4, and is a pretty handy (and super cheap) option for amplification.

However, there may come a time when you want to crank out some phat beats (I kid you not...) or indeed kick back and absorb some Octaviated Hairpins, and then you might need more grunt out of your amp than the LM386 can provide.

Furthermore, you also might want to swap out a topographically restrictive audio lead for a BlueTooth device which will provide a bit more portability and easy control over your tunes.

Enter (from my recent mailbag) a bluetooth module and a promising amp module based on the TPA3116 chip.

Firstly, I pulled apart a reclaimed headphone cable for the 3.5mm audio jack, and found that even though there were only three zones on the jack, there were four wires!

With a little experimentation I determined that the wires were LEFT, RIGHT and two GND wires.

Hooking up 12V (it can take up to 24V) I was able to get some good noise out of the amp, although it took a little to sort out the left/right wiring.

Once up and running, it was fairly trivial to slide in the BlueTooth module and get some music blaring out from my phone to the recycled speakers.


This is an Amp/BlueTooth combo that I would definitely recommend - it was very simple to set up, and also a very very cheap option considering the resultant sound. The TPA3116 is now one of my favourites!

I am going to 3D print a box to put the modules in, and power it with a 12V adapter (maybe 2A), and then I'm good to rock in the shop.



No comments:

Post a Comment