Saturday, July 31, 2021

0000 0000 0110 1100

7W LED Cobs (for the workshop)

“In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.”

August Wilson

My eyes are fading and the components I'm soldering seem to be getting smaller! In anticipation of future SMD projects I decided to upgrade the lighting in the workshop.

I could have (read: should have) just fronted up to the hardware store with a fistful of dollars but in the tradition of spending way too much time (and money) making something at home, I looked into the buckets and pulled out some bits and pieces which put together may resemble lighting.

Along the way I happened upon some discarded light fittings at the local recycling centre and before you know it I had a skeleton of an idea.

A 3D printed case for the circuitry to hide in, and some appropriately oversized heat sinks strapped to the the cobs, saw the project conclude with a well lit work area - nice one!

The only downside was that the extra light in the previously dark corners of the workshop revealed a LOT of cleaning up needed (and a few forgotten components found!)



No comments:

Post a Comment