Saturday, July 10, 2021

0000 0000 0110 1001

Fan fried goodness

Everyone seems to be buying an air fryer at the moment. I'll wait until they're out of fashion to pick up one. That's how I got my awesome bread maker!

Meanwhile, in my little corner of the garage where I solder up unsuspecting components, I try not to breathe in any of the nastiness that comes up from the boards being tortured.

One of the first things I "made" in the workshop was a solder fume extractor fan which comprised a re-purposed computer cooling fan and funnel as shown.



In a recent experiment I unwittingly fried this extractor fan by running a few more amps through it than recommended (>160mA). The hunt was then on for a replacement fan. I do have some new 12V fans bought for cooling projects, but they are way smaller than this application requires.

But for awhile during this replacement process I did feel like I was in a three little bears skit, surrounded by fans pulled from 2nd hand computer cases that were either two small or two big - none that were "just right".

Finally in a dark corner of the garage, inside a power supply inside a old computer, I found what I was looking for and cobbled the whole extractor back together. I'm gonna miss the smell of solder in the mornings...



No comments:

Post a Comment