Saturday, July 29, 2023

0000 0000 1100 1110

Making a physical KimUno

Recently I posted a video and blog about the KimUno, a lovely project that took the historic Kim1 computer based on the MOS6502 chip, but updated it to a 21st Century version based on the Arduino Pro Mini.

For some strange reason I thought it would be fun to run on a tiny XIAO ESP32C3, which worked out well, but did not give me the visceral joy of holding a key based physical device in my hands.

In this video and blog I decided to build the KimUno as originally intended, which is to say on a PCB with an Pro Mini strapped to it's back.


I did make a few changes along the way. Firstly I sped up the LED updates in code to make the flickering of the LEDs a little easier to bear.


Secondly I tweaked the hardware here and there for my own amusement!

Here is the video - enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment