Friday, March 24, 2023

0000 0000 1100 0010

555 Charge Pump Circuit (noisy PCB)

Recently I made up a 555 square wave generator using a kit that I dug out of the Dirty Dozen box. I thought I would take another at this PCB because I ran out of time to both troubleshoot the circuit and also to use it as I intended in a voltage doubler charge pump circuit.

The trouble shooting was made easy when a viewer suggested to check the power supply. Sure enough I was using a commercial direct buck/boost converter, which of course provided a pretty "bumpy" 12V.

Once I ran the source through an LM338 voltage regulator, and added a couple of smoothing capacitors, the 555 signal cleared up nicely.

Now with the signal sorted I whipped up a quick voltage doubler circuit according to one of the many versions available online, which worked a treat!

Here is the resultant video - enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment