Saturday, March 12, 2022

0000 0000 1000 1100

Solar Powered WiFi Mesh (I)

I have it in mind that I can extend the WiFi coverage at home into the paddocks (~100m), chicken yard (20m), front gate (80m), greenhouse (10m), dog yard (6m), goat/sheep paddock (70m), etc., etc., but I don't want to wire up power to supply extender units.

I've been wondering if solar power is a viable option. Certainly there are a few projects on the InterWebs that seem to suggest it might be possible.

I've started looking at ESP8266 options, but also lately have been more interested in ESP32s with their low current sleeping ability and WebServer possibilities (e.g. setting hours for operation, monitoring traffic, etc).


We don't get that much solar down here in Tassie, so whatever set up is implemented needs to be efficient if I'm going to succeed with a solar powered option.

To that end I've been trying out some different solar panels arriving in the mailbag in terms of voltage, current (hence power) and it came to pass that one boring day I exceeded the design specs on a solar panel tester.


Ridiculous as you will see in the video! Once I've decided on the solar panel I'll switch to the power delivery and control systems. Interesting project, with a few more installments to come - watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment