Saturday, April 17, 2021

0000 0000 0101 1101

DIP8 converter ATTiny13 to PFS154

The ATTiny13 chip has been the mainstay of many of my projects for the last 5 years or so, but lately I have been straying a bit towards the PFS154, particularly now that I have a working programmer and a barely working knowledge of programming the chip.


One barrier to the transition (and there have been many) is the different pin layouts of the chips - like...very different!

In this blog and video I am going to attempt to "re-wire" a DIP8 adapter so that I can use the padauk PFS154 chip in projects designed for AVR chips. That is, I'm going to need to make sure that VCC and GND can be re-routed appropriately as follows.

The process started with a "double-decker" idea, and after a couple of false starts (but no smoke), I was able to achieve the following "FrankenChip" which performed fading duties as desired.


There was only one unexpected outcome, which was the PWM signal being able to "source" (perhaps OUTPUT and LOW?) for the connected LED. More experiments required I think to fully understand that side-effect (see video).

So at the moment this seems like a nice option to use existing projects but with a new chip, at least until I decide to re-imagine some projects, then it will be interesting to see which chip I design the PCB around. Watch this space!




No comments:

Post a Comment