Saturday, March 6, 2021

0000 0000 0101 0111

CD4073 three input AND gate

I watch a bit of YouTube (shock) including the "Missionary Bush Pilot". Ryan the pilot is meticulous with his preparation and flying, and the scenery of course is dazzling, but most of all I am in awe of his ability to keep up a high quality narration as he goes about his piloting. My videos by comparison are replete with "ums" and "ahs" and all I'm doing is soldering a few LEDs together!

One really cool part of Ryan's preparation is the use of a rocker switch array which is his checklist.

It's a good design, but seems to lack the required number of LEDs to be truly epic. So recently I pulled out a CD4073 three-input AND gate from the buckets and decided to use it to emulate a checklist style panel.

I don't fly a plane, but I do ride a motorcycle - so this one could be about boots, helmet, gloves, tyre pressure, battery charge, headlight and maybe attitude!

If all the switches are "green" to go, then an eighth switch could be activated to actually start the bike/plane.

Firstly, I needed to check how multiple AND gates might work together, so I used iCircuit to test a possible configuration involving only two input AND gates.  Then I added a transistor NOT gate and a transistor switch indicate red or green for go.

Switches open, red light
Switches closed, green light

On the breadboard it works fine - should I strap it to the cowling/screen?




No comments:

Post a Comment