Saturday, September 26, 2020

0000 0000 0100 0010

An ATTiny85 function generator

I do a lot of teaching of "Electro-Technology", and nothing pleases me more than finding a treasure chest of potential projects to excite and educate the minds of the next generation. Case in point? David Johnson-Davies wonderful "Technoblogy" site. My students and I have built quite a few of these circuits and they continue to be popular.

The projects featured on David's site are wonderful in that they are carefully explained, have all the diagrams you would want, contain code if necessary and the resulting projects are both useful and work as designed. Actually, he's kind of my hero (along with Ćukasz Podkalicki and his similarly inspiring ATTiny13 blog)!

About a year or so ago I spied the ATTiny85 function generator on David's site.

One day when I'm a grown up I might buy a commercial function generator, but in the meantime this little guy looked amazing, and David made the PCB files available on github for those who wish to make their own. Yes please!

So I ordered a few and after they arrived I soldered one up and OMG it worked the first try, and it was wonderful. Here is mine plugged in and with power.



And of course below is the video of the device being built and then actually working (er, after a little altercation with a couple of recalcitrant OLED displays).





No comments:

Post a Comment