Saturday, August 31, 2019

0000 0000 0000 1010

The ubiquitous 555 timer

Since 1971 the 555 timer has been chugging along providing all manner of pulses for hobbyist projects along with serious electronic devices. When you need accurate, cheap and reliable timing, the 555 is your chip. You can buy a hundred of them for a pittance, and then scour the net for a hundred applications. There are a few variations (e.g. low current CMOS ICs), but I return to the NE555 because it's pretty rugged and I've only blown up a few by mistake!

I will make a few 555 circuits in this blog, but for the moment I'll start with a basic variable frequency square wave output, found in many guises all over the place. A quick search online reveals many 555 calculators, but I'll use this one to make the circuit below.










No comments:

Post a Comment